How Often Should You Rotate Your Tires?
How often should you rotate your tires? This is a common question we hear at the Rusnak Auto Group service center. For most vehicles, a tire rotation is recommended every 5,000- to 7,500 miles. While this interval should suffice for most cars, it is a good idea to take a look at your owner’s manual. There may be different recommendations provided by the manufacturer. Still curious when to rotate tires? The service experts at Rusnak Auto Group have created this handy guide below.
When to Rotate Tires on FWD and RWD Vehicles
Whether your vehicle is designated front-wheel drive or rear-wheel drive, this distinction is simply letting you know where the majority of the engine power is being sent. For these drivetrains, one set of tires gets the bulk of the engine power, causing them to wear faster than the others. If you have a FWD or RWD vehicle, you will want to keep the following tips in mind when performing a tire rotation:
- For FWD or RWD cars, it is a good idea to have a tire rotation every 5,000 to 7,500 miles. If your owner’s manual has different recommendations, follow the suggestions of the automaker.
- If you’re performing a FWD tire rotation yourself, you will need to switch the sides of the rear tires. For example, the rear right tire will go on the front left. Do not switch sides when moving the front tires to the back.
- When rotating tires on an RWD car, you will want to reverse the process explained above. When you move the front tires to the back, switch sides. When you move the rear tires forward, keep them on the same side.
- You may need to rotate the tires on your vehicle more often depending on your driving habits. For example, if you do a lot of off-roading, performing a tire rotation every 5,000 to 7,500 miles may not be enough. Stop by the Rusnak Auto Group service center today, and our experts will recommend a schedule that meets your needs.
AWD Tire Rotation Tips
Curious how many miles to rotate tires on an AWD model? A tire rotation is needed more often because each tire wears differently, and at different speeds. According to most automotive experts, tires should be rotated on an AWD vehicle every 3,000 to 5,000 miles. Once again, be sure to take a look at your owner’s manual. There may be differing recommendations from the manufacturer that should be followed. What if you don’t remember the last time your vehicle had a tire rotation? Don’t worry! You can bring your vehicle in for an inspection by our service experts, and if a tire rotation is recommended, we will let you know.
Why is a Tire Rotation Important?
Now that you know when to rotate tires, you may be interested in why this service task is recommended. Keeping up with regular tire rotations provides the following benefits.
- Improved traction on slippery roads
- Less noise on the road
- Less unnecessary stress on the drivetrain
If you want to be sure that your tires can handle any road conditions, proper tire care is a must. Remember, even if you keep up with all of the recommended tire maintenance services, your tires will still wear down over time. If your vehicle is in need of new tires, we can help you find the perfect fit for your particular make and model.
Learn More About Vehicle Maintenance with Rusnak Auto Group
If you still have questions about tire care or other automotive maintenance, do not hesitate to contact the team at Rusnak Auto Group. We want to help keep your vehicle running as it did the day it left the showroom.